You guys. I kind of found my new obsession for lunch. Typically I have a big protein breakfast (Bacon, eggs, fermented sour dough).. Yes BACON read here if you are sketch about bacon…we eat a high GOOD fat, moderate-high protein, lower carb diet in my house.) Then for lunch I typically go for either veggies with good fats like a salad with avocado and seeds/nuts or something like this! It does have a bit of sugar due to the BBQ sauce, but I get the lowest sugar organic BBQ sauce I can find. We try to keep our sugars under 20 grams a day, some days none. That includes fruits, snacks, sugar, dried in sauces like what calls for this recipe.
So many good nutrients in this easy lunch!
Cabbage is brain food! It is full of vitamin K and anthocyanins that help with mental function and concentration. These nutrients also prevent nerve damage, improving your defense against Alzheimer’s disease, and dementia. Red cabbage has the highest amount of these power nutrients. It is also High in sulfur, the beautifying mineral. Cabbage helps dry up oily and acne skin. Internally sulfur is essential for keratin, a protein substance necessary for healthy hair, nails, and skin. Also, he natural red pigments of red cabbage (betalains) is said to lower blood sugar levels and boost insulin production.
Hemp seeds have an excellent 3:1 balance of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, which keeps your heart healthy along with eyes, skin and essentially your body “oiled” up well. They are super high in minerals as well and are considered a “perfect protein” not only containing all 20 amino acids, but also each of the 9 essential amino acids that our bodies cannot produce. They help balance hormones as well! A food you definitely want to add into your weekly routine.
- Organic Red, Green and chopped carrots cabbage from Trader Joe's...buy more than 1 bag because I promise you'll want to make more. LOL
- Veganaise or Organic Mayo
- Organic low sugar BBQ sauce (Whole foods, Sprouts)
- Hemp Seeds
- Slivered Almonds
- Add bag of Cabbage in in a bowl.
- Add in 4 tbs mayo and 4 tbs BBQ sauce (If you want to start off with less sauce do 2 tbs of each and then add to taste)
- If you would like more sauce, add accordingly.
- Top with hemp seeds, cranberries and slivered almonds. I just threw in pinch of each.